Thursday, November 8, 2012

"THE DECISION" FESTIVAL ARTIST: MARIAH MACCARTHY


Mariah MacCarthy's plays include Magic Trick (FringeNYC '12), The Foreplay Play (Caps Lock Theatre, FullStop Theatre Collective; published by Indie Theater Now), Ampersand: A Romeo & Juliet Story (FringeNYC '11, Looking Glass Forum Awards and "Outstanding Performance" of the Fringe), The All-American Genderf*ck Cabaret (Rapscallion Theatre Collective, Purple Rep, published by Indie Theater Now), You'll Thank Me Later (Jimmy's No. 43, Theater for the New City), Detained (Left Hip),  A Man of His Word (San Diego Old Globe with Playwrights Project, winner of the California Young Playwrights Contest). She was the first playwright to receive The Lotos Foundation Prize in the Arts and Sciences. She is Producing Director of Caps Lock Theatre, co-founder of Purple Rep, a San Diego native, a Skidmore graduate, and a member of the Dramatists Guild. 



INTERVIEW

1. You wrote "A Really Good Mayor" which is a fantastic play in The Decision Play Festival. What's your story about and what inspired you to create it?
When Ella finds herself pregnant by the mayor she works for, she calls on Bri for an unusual and violent favor. What inspired me was Kanye West's "Amazing," of all things. Also, politicians' rhetoric got mad rape-y this election. Also, years ago, a friend of mine was beaten up by a guy who was blackout drunk and didn't remember it later, and she used it to sexually blackmail him. When I told a boyfriend about this, he said, "I almost wonder if she beat herself up." I thought, that's ridiculous and kind of upsetting that he thinks that. But then I thought, what if someone DID do that?


2. How has this election been different for you?
I really thought Obama might not win, and I was sick to my stomach about it. I was SURE Kerry was gonna beat Bush, and while I wasn't sure Obama would win last time, it seemed likely that he would. This time I experienced true terror.

3. As an artist, what do you think your responsibility is politically to your community (or do you think you even have one)?
Awareness. An openness to the very real possibility that the things I think might be wrong. A willingness to keep sharing myself and my heart and my experiences, because every time I do, someone thanks me.

4. What would it take for you to vote for the other party?
If Meghan McCain ran for office. If there were Republican candidates who were genuinely committed to reforming their party.

5. What's the most exciting thing about this election being over?
Obama being president.

6. Favorite president and why?
Honestly, Obama. I was too young to appreciate Clinton properly, and my parents are Republican so I was seeing him through their eyes at the time. Everything was blow jobs and thong jokes. I didn't really realize until this year's DNC that he is kind of other-worldly in terms of sheer charisma and star power. There's no one like him. But Obama has made strides that I thought it might take decades to make. He's a little awkward, he plays it a little too cool sometimes, but every few months he does something that makes me say, "That's my president!" I never thought patriotism like that was possible.

7. What are you looking forward to in 2013?
Not being pregnant. I was pregnant for most of 2012.


THANK YOU!!!


THE DECISION PLAY FESTIVAL

CLICK HERE FOR SCHEDULE

The Decision is a short play reading festival about what happens after the heated election but also where we will be or should be after this November.  This event is a fundraiser for the Limitless Health Institute and to help families affected by the storm and living in shelters supported by Safe Horizon.
Join us in watching a series of funny, incisive, dramatic short theatre pieces. The Decision will feature a series of 10 minute plays written and directed and acted by some of New York's finest artists.

LOCATION:
The Three Jewels, NYC61 Fourth Avenue, Third FloorNew York, NY 10003

TIME: 
*Saturday 11/10, 7pm
*Sunday 11/1, 3:00pm
*Monday 11/12, 7:00pm
* *Suggested Donation $10 for Saturday or Sunday/$15 for Monday (All 8 plays)
Email 2012playfestival@gmail.com with Sat, Sun, or Mon
in the subject line.  

No comments:

EVIL endings

 Evil: 2nd to last ep of the entire series. This morning in Bucaramanga I woke up and cut some fresh fruit and had a delicious changua, whic...