Thursday, January 3, 2013

Phone Karma


On December 31st I heard a clunk sound as I loaded my clothes into the washing machine. I looked in the pile of clothes and didn't see anything. Shrugging shoulders I turned the washer on and found out later that the clunk sound was my cell phone. My old Sprint phone is no longer in model. It's not a smart phone, it's tiny, simple thing that's a few generations behind all that is out right now. I have never washed my phone. Ever. Ever ever ever. And I looked in my clothes before closing the machine door and didn't see anything. R.I.P ol' faithful non-smart cell phone.

On January 1st 2013, my first stop is to the Sprint Phone store. I am there with many others as the doors are opening. I find the least expensive phone (as is my routine) and go to the counter to pay. As it turns I'm up for a new phone exactly at the start of 2013, which means this new phone will cost me $20.

I pay the money and I'm just happy to have a new gadget. But the Samsung phone is jamming only a few hours later, freezing up when trying to scroll, and having some delays. It's also clunky and bigger than the my old phone. Within a few hours the Samsung phone will just shut down. For no reason, the phone just stops working or refuses to start for short periods of time.

Last night I'm running errands and the Samsung is buzzing and jamming. I get into the car to drive away and its ringing.

"You are such a bad phone," I say aloud to no one in particular. On the other line is Sprint automated services. They want to know how I'm enjoying my Samsung. Ironic moment.  Two hours later the Samsung had a massive coronary and dies. First it jams, then it completely shuts off and refuses to turn back on.  And so Samsung left my life after only 24 hrs. So long, Samsung. You were not long for this world and my pockets.

The next day the store gives me an iPhone 4. At no additional costs. So this is my 3rd phone and it's January 3rd. I'll be sure not to curse this one out as apparently I have cell phone cursing powers.

This sticks out in my mind because I don't have a problem with cell phones. I get the most convenient one that I see, keep the frills to a minimum, and usually they last for at least 1-2 years while some have lasted longer. But something is shifting at the beginning of 2013. I'll take the upgrade and try to put it to good use.


No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...