Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Sonnet 30: Buying a Sandwich

He walked in a demolished, quaking "other"
I bought him a sandwich to devour.
This bombed-out crater was once my brother,
but I recognize him less and less by the hour.

"Whatcha been up to," I say to a junkie
as he looks past me with those flat dead eyes.
"This" which he means the struggle to get free
from eviction, addiction, crystal-lies.

Awkward silence. I have nothing to say
to this zombie so I blab senseless sound
around the obvious death here and play
n' plan for his victorious comeback round.

He inhales the sandwich and leaves ashamed
vanished into the crowds as quick as he came.

- By Aurin Squire

No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...