Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer Sonnet 35: Remembering a Phone Call 30 years ago

People confide in me, but who knows why?
Since I was a little boy, I had that knack.
I remember me non-plussed panting sigh
as strangers asked if my parents were back.

Lazy Saturday phone perverts would call
our number to groan cries. I confronted
one giddy man, asked if he could tell all
as he regaled adultery grunted.

My child-self thought it would be exciting
to listen to his salacious conquest
but I yawned and found myself fighting
the banality of most sins confessed.

But I recall his small evil laughter,
echo'ed in my ear 3 decades after.

- By Aurin Squire


No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...