Thursday, September 21, 2017

City of Poets

I was writing in the Signature Theatre lobby when my phone rang from an unfamiliar number. The area code was listed as Toa Alta, Puerto Rico. I thought they didn't have any power. I answered it and the voice on the other end greeted me "Buenas tarde." I tried to say something, but he couldn't hear me. "Hello...hello...hello...' Finally he hung up. I looked up Toa Alta. The city was founded in 1751. It is known as La Cuna de Poetas (birthplace of poets). A wall of water smashed into the northern city and it is gone.

I called the number back. It rang and rang and rang. It is still probably ringing out there to someone.

No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...